Our group was co-founded in March 2019 by four parents, Helena, Rachael, Miranda and Lucy. We have children at schools in the borough and are highly concerned about the pollution levels they are exposed to.
As individuals we were talking to our children’s schools about reducing air pollution but finding that the Heads weren’t always receptive to taking action. By forming a group we have found support and ideas about how to create change.
- 60% of Islington is exceeds the EU legal limit of 40mg
- Our children’s lungs will be stunted by 5-10%
- 76% of parks in Islington have illegal levels of air pollution
We are now a fast growing network of parents and carers in Islington. Our members tell us they want to see more action being taken and faster whilst our children are still young. We hold regular ICAP meetings and also meet with councillors and MPs calling for action against air pollution.
Our mission: To create a network of parents & carers representing every school in Islington, working together with relevant authorities to significantly reduce air pollution below EU legal limits and creating a healthy clean air environment for all our children across the borough.
At our first meeting our members discussed the items most important to them and we created a top priority list.
Our three main working objectives are:
- To establish an effective Islington (schools network) clean air action group and agree a Clean Air policy for schools with Islington Council
- To reduce traffic pollution across the borough and provide clean air streets (below EU legal limits) for children to walk, cycle and scoot safely to school.
- To reduce pollution inside and outside all Islington schools to below WHO recommended air pollution limits.
If you would like to join our group please email email@example.com and follow us on twitter @air_parents. We’ll keep you up to date with actions and events that are happening and inform you of dates for our next meetings.